Sunday 24 April 2011

Amphibians Unite

There' still no sign of Nostradamus despite the fact that daily and nightly searches are carrying on. The curfew remains in place but Newton has found a bit of a loop hole round it. We may all have to be back at a pad by 6 but no one seems to care whose pad so Newton decided to arrange a mass sleep over!

I wasn't exactly an enthusiastic participant, in fact I was the last to arrive. I wish I hadn't bothered, the moment Newton showed me onto his pad I was welcomed like some kind of hero by all the gathered newts and toads. They all croaked, slapped their webs or lashed their tails for me, my inner tadpole just wanted to curl up. I still haven't decided if I can be part of the team, they don't know I'm a coward not a hero.

Anyway when the clammer had died down Newton introduced me to my would be team mates.

The Bulls

Petula- A female toad of gargantuan proportions, about 3 times my size, but with the tiniest little croak I've ever heard.

Begonia- Another female toad, she seemed a little unsure about whether she really wanted to be there, I think Petula had dragged her along.

Delphinium- The smallest of the female toads, but has by far the biggest bubbliest personality.

Arial- I never heard this female toad actually speak, and she was notably smaller than the others, her movements were so graceful and fluid I wondered if she were real or pond mist.


Petula, Begonia, Delphinium and Arial


Tennyson- a male toad, nearly a big as the females, he has an intimidating physical presence but speaks with the politest grammar I've ever heard in the bog.

Mugwort- Tennyson's best friend, a little smaller but defiantly broader and well muscled. he had a strong bog toad accent but apart from that his manners equal Tennyson's.

Pavlova- A female newt. Very long and lithe but noticeably well muscled.

Ivana- A female newt not as toned as Pavlova but she has a presence that is somehow intimidating as if she can read your thoughts before you've even thought them.

Edison- A cheerful male newt, seems physically far too small to play as a bull and will be pulverised, but he seems happily unaware of this fact and fully expects to win every match. The fact that he thinks there could possibly ever be more than one match in itself is a major feat of optimism.

Pythagoras- Another male newt to play as bull, a little larger than Edison (or Eddie as he likes to be known) and much more reserved. He seems to be a bit of an observer on the outside, but I think he is still summing up the team and working out where they, and he fits into all this.


Edison and Pythagoras

The Subs

Aristotle- Small male toad whose wits are quicker than a pike on a fishing hook, I think is fair to say he's the joker in the team.


Newton- Eyeliner black as night, soul as bright as the north star and seems to be to the team as the pied piper was to rats.

Frog- me, looks like I can't get out of this now!


There was much talk over the evening about tactics and how to manage practice under the current regime, but the biggest topic on everyone's mind was what to call ourselves. There were lots of ridiculous suggestions of course, 'The Three Phibs of the Apocolypse'  'Bogpool Hoppers' or 'Chatternack's Nightmare's. But eventually it was agreed that the name that summed up exactly what we stood for was 'Amphibian United'.

Amphibian United

No comments:

Post a Comment