Saturday 9 April 2011

NEWT FLASH!

OH MY BOG!

NEWTON'S BACK! He just crawled up onto my pad last night with no warning. His smile as bright, his eyeliner as dark as ever.


MISS ME?
 
And it's worse than I thought, whatever fears I had been dreaming up about him being dissected by a biped, smashed to pieces by a juggernaut or inducted into a weird frog hating sect could not prepare me for the sheer horror of what he's been doing.

HE'S FORMED HIS OWN FROGPOOL TEAM!

He's had some questions to answer I can tell you!

What are you thinking?

I'm thinking I'd quite like you to offer me an algae juice.


Frogpool is not an inter-species sport, you do know it's illegal for you to play don't you?

I know that it is the most outmoded, xenophobic piece of legal pond weed introduced by a group of close minded frogs with a superiority complex, tail envy and small webs! It's about time someone brought this ecosystem hopping and croaking into the 21st century and stopped discriminating against amphibians just because of their species.

Yes, but why you?

Because I can.

No you can't. You'll get kicked out of school, do you want that?

I don't think West Bogside can offer me a lot more educationally speaking, it's about time I gave something back.

Who in bog is going to be stupid enough to join the team?

Actually I already have a full squad of toads and newts plus several as reserves. We've been having practices for weeks now.

What? Where?

I converted the deserted marsh behind the bull rushes, a bit of clever channel and damn building and I've made a full size frogpool.

How are you going to stop Sir Chatternack from finding out?

I'm not, as soon as the team is at it's peak I intend to challenge his team against mine, then I can prove once and for all the species does not matter in sport.


What!? Are you mad?

My last three psychological profiles say that apart from a slight disregard for self, probably not.

Newton, why didn't you tell me what you've been doing?

Probably because I knew you'd behave like this.

So why tell me now?

Because for it to be a true inter-species team I need a frog, plus the newts make great underwater subs but aren't so good at the aerial pad leaps. 
Why me?

Because Frog, you are my best friend and I know I can rely on you. Besides I've been missing spending time with my best frog.


So there you have it. My best friend is the coach of an  illegal underground frogpool team and he wants me to join. I understand why he's doing it, and I admire his courage. But I don't think I would be so brave if I had to tell me mum and dad I got kicked out of school, which I would be if Sir Chatternack got wind of this. Not to mention what the bulls would do to me, and Lily hates me enough already! It's social suicide but how can I say no?

Can I say no?


No comments:

Post a Comment